We live in a mineral-based world. It has been said that “if you can’t grow it, you have to mine it”. Indeed, virtually everything we use on a daily basis is manufactured from the Earth’s mineral resources. Mineral raw materials provide us with our basic needs – energy, infrastructure, transportation, technology and more.
In EGS this topic is dealt with in the Mineral Resources Expert Group.
A number of European and regional projects have been carried out during the last decades in order to address mineral resources related issues. GeoERA substantially increased the knowledge about Mineral Resources.
- MINTELL4EU (Mineral Intelligence for Europe)
- FRAME (Forecasting and Assessing Europe’s Strategic Raw Materials needs)
- MINDeSEA (Seabed Mineral Deposits in European Seas: Metallogeny and Geological Potential for Strategic and Critical Raw Materials)
- EuroLithos (European Ornamental stone resources)
Other Mineral Resources projects
- RESEERVE (Mineral Potential of the Eastern and South-Eastern Europe Region)
- ORAMA (Optimising data collection for Primary and Secondary raw materials)
- SCRREEN and SCRREEN 2 (Solutions for Critical Raw Materials – a European Expert Network)
- Minerals4EU (Minerals Intelligence Network for Europe)
- EURare (Development of a sustainable exploitation scheme for Europe’s Rare Earth ore deposits)
- ProSUM (Prospecting Secondary Raw Materials in the Urban mine and Mining wastes)
- ProMine (Nano-particle products from new mineral resources in Europe)
- MICA (Mineral Intelligence Capacity Analysis)
- Geo-Cradle (Coordinating and integRating state-of-the-art Earth Observation Activities in the regions of North Africa, Middle East, and Balkans and Developing Links with GEO related initiatives towards GEOSS)